Friday, April 20, 2007

On Promotions

All my life, I've rarely been the one promoted when the position above me came open (this is changing for me now, by the way). I could never figure out why that was, becuase my work was always as good or better than the person that got the job.

Simply put, there are two things that you are measured by at any job. All other metrics can be boiled down to these two things.

1) Your performance
2) Your attitude

Now I said that my performance was always at least satisfactory, and I believe it was. And my attitude was never "bad", per se, but it wasn't always as good as it should be. When I saw things that didn't function according to how I thought they should, I was somewhat vocal about it. My reasoning was that superiors would appreciate knowing what could work better. I rarely, if ever, tried to understand what benefits there may have been with the existing process.

So, if you're consistently getting passed over for promotions or higher paying jobs, take a look at yourself and examine your performance and your attitude. To get promoted, both need to be exceptional. You can't have exceptional work but an average attitude, and rarely will an exceptional attitude make up for sub-par performance. Start today making each better, and soon the opprtunites will be flowing your way!

Comments, as always, are welcome and appreciated!

No comments: