Monday, July 09, 2007

Let Go, Let God

Okay, for the next several posts I'm going to discuss a couple of things we really need to let go of. There's an axiom in the Christian world, predominantly (I guess it could be just about anywhere, but that's where I've seen it the most) that goes "Let Go, Let God". There is something to this. When we can surrender our need to be in control of everything and just trust in a devine timing and a devine source that is directing our lives to one degree or another, amazing things can happen. So for the few posts, I'm going to talk about ways of letting go in a few specific aspects of life. These have been mentioned by many self-help gurus, but specifically I got a lot of this from Wayne Dyer.

Let go of your need to win.

This is such a prevalent theme in today's culture, especially here in America. Now, I'm a huge sports fan, and I love it when my team wins. Sometimes, however, my team doesn't win... whether that's my child's soccer team or the Utah Jazz. The trick here is not ceasing to strive to win, but letting go of your NEED to win. Decide that you can accept the outcome, especially of sporting events, without letting it affect your mood. Just look at riots that have happened in major cities because of the winning or losing of a specific team. Give me a break, people.

I have struggled with this in the past. There have been days when I'll be watching a game and my team is losing and I'll be in a seriously bad mood. This is what I'm talking about. Just let it go. Realize that in the grand scheme of things, "winning" is not that big of a deal. As you're getting all wrapped up in the event, think of someone you know who may be struggling with some major challenges, like cancer or divorce. Not to get you depressed or anything, but just to get things back in perspective. Remember how the sporting world came to a stop in the days following 9/11?

Just some food for thought. Comments welcome.

2 comments:

chloe said...

Here I am, commenting. I have never understood people getting upset over the teams that watch (i.e. not the ones they play on) not winning. I have very little patience for this, so I'd like to understand it better.

However, I definitely struggle with my need to win at anything I'm doing. I have a strangely competitive nature and I would love to figure out how to let go of this.

Nathan McDuck said...

I am glad you delineated between "not ceasing to strive to win, but letting go of your NEED to win" (nicely put, by the way). I think that creates the difference between a good sport and a poor loser . I think there are contests that occasionally need to be won, but I have yet to see one on the sporting court/field/floor/pitch.

For the record, I am one of those people who often finds myself upset when a team I follow is playing poorly. I guess we all have escapist things outside of the important stuff to which we allow ourselves to become emotionally involved.