Thursday, March 01, 2007

On Fate

There is a school of thought in the self-improvement/self-help world that says that nothing happens by accident, that God or the Source or the Creator or whatever term you apply, is in control of all and that things happen to you exactly when they're supposed to and how they're supposed to. I'm not sure I believe that, however...

I do believe that everything that happens to you can be for your benefit and can lead to great things. It's all in how you use it.

The comment about dissatisfaction mentioned in my last post is something that got me thinking along these lines. Perhaps it is divine destiny that you lost your job, or that your spouse left you, or that you were abused as a child, perhaps it isn't. What I know is that you still have response-ability. You can take ownership of whatever has happened to you in the past and turn it to something positive. Too many people ask "Why has this happened to me? Why do bad things happen to good people?" when they questions they should be asking themselves are more along the lines of "What can I learn from this? Where is the lesson? How can I use this to become a better or happier person?"

You see, your quality of life is directly related to the questions you ask yourself. If you ask yourself "Why does this always happen to me? Why am I so unlucky?" you will certainly get answers to these questions. "Because you're a fool. Because you're so unfortunate. Because people just don't like you." None of these are probalby true, but you'll get the answers you're looking for. Ask yourself a better question, and you'll get better answers.

So take the unfortunate circumstances in your life and your dissatisfaction and everything that "fate" throws at you, whether you believe it's all predetermined or not, and make the best of it. Ask good questions. Get great answers, and live intentionally.

God bless. Comments are welcome and appreciated.

No comments: